Our very active and dedicated Outreach Committee, chaired by Terri Donnelly, is responsible for making and distributing quilts and pillowcases to many local organizations…..and the Committee is hiring! No pay, but lots of fun with friendly, dedicated and helpful people.
Meetings are held on the 2nd and 4th Friday of the month at 12:30 p.m. in the Charlton Grange building. But, in November, there will be only ONE meeting on the 10th. Come join us, make some new friends or meet up with some old ones. We can use people with sewing machines or people to tie the quilts if you don’t want to carry a machine.
We would like to extend our thanks to Marge Moniz. For the last 10 years Marge has chaired and handled the distribution of quilts for Outreach. Thank you Marge for doing this job for us. Outreach participants are following in Marge’s able footsteps!
If you are unable to join us on Fridays, kits are available at the guild meetings. Pick one up, take it home to piece, and bring the top back to us the following month. The patterns are all easy and go together quickly. Every quilt we hand out makes a difference in someone’s life! We cover the span from babies to seniors.
Your donated tops and finished quilts are greatly appreciated! There is an immediate need for children’s quilts. Children’s prints and bright colors are appropriate for these tops (or finished quilts!), which in general should measure 36″ x 40″ up to 40″ x 50.”
Volunteer longarmers are also needed to quilt the larger quilts. Please let Terri know if you are able to help out.
Thanks for all you do!
For more information, contact Terri Donnelly at email@example.com .
Outreach accepts all sizes of quilts but finds the following sizes most helpful:
Infant 36 x 36 Oncology 45 x 60
Crib 36 x 46 Incubator 48 x 66
Lap 40 x 54 Shawl 22 x 72
Wheelchair 38 x 47 Large/Twin 56 x 71
For stress free volunteering, the Outreach kits are already sized! Just stop by the Outreach Table and pick up a kit.
If pillowcases are more your style and speed, the Outreach Committee always accepts pillowcase donations. We have a partnership with the Ryan’s Case for Smiles organization (http://www.caseforsmiles.org), where all of the pillowcases are donated. So, keep those pillowcases coming!
Here are a few guidelines for making these pillowcases:
- Use cheery fabrics for kids – colorful and fun as possible
- Remember many patients are adolescent boys and girls, we always need pillowcases appropriate to teenagers
- Cotton or flannel only!
To make one pillowcase, you need:
- 3/4 yard of fabric for pillowcase
- 1/3 yard of fabric for border of pillowcase
- Cut the body of the case 26 1/2″ x 40 1/2″ and the border 10 1/2″ x 40 1/2″.
- Fold the border in half lengthwise, with the wrong sides together, and press.
- Place the right side of the border on the right side of the body of the case. Stitch together using a 1/2″ seam allowance.
- Place right sides of the pillowcase together. Stitch down the side and across the bottom. Turn to the right side and press.
- Please finish seams so the pillowcases will not fray.
Note: Make sure to wash the fabric for the protection of the children with suppressed immunity. Place each pillowcase in a quart-sized ziplock bag. Drop off the pillowcases at the Outreach Table before each meeting.