Our very active and dedicated Outreach Committee is responsible for making and distributing quilts and pillowcases to many local organizations…..and the Committee is hiring! No pay, but lots of fun with friendly, dedicated and helpful people.
From September through May, meetings are held on the 2nd and 4th Friday of the month at 12:30 p.m. in the Charlton Grange building. There are no meetings in the summer. We can use people with sewing machines or people to tie the quilts if you don’t want to carry a machine.
THE SEAMAN’S CHURCH INSTITUTE – Susan Burns has been involved with the Institute for many years, both knitting and sewing. Currently she is sewing many many ditty bags for the Institute’s Christmas at Sea outreach program. The bags will be filled for the men and women at sea. For instructions on making Ditty Bags, or donating cheerful fabrics, please contact Susan at <email@example.com>.
What do we do at these meetings? We take the quilt tops that have been given to us and layer them with batting and a backing. They are then sewn together by the group that brings a sewing machine to the meeting. We use the pillowcase method to put these together. After sewing they get turned right side out, pressed and returned to the sewers for topstitching. Then the group that ties the quilts works on them. After they are tied the quilts go home with two of us to have labels sewn on them. When some of the quilts are too large to tie we have some longarm quilters that will quilt them for us. The quilt tops that we use come from tops that members of the guild have donated to us. Some of these are tops from the kits that we have available at every meeting. Others are tops that members have made and do not have a use for them at home. We take all sizes of tops since those on our list of organizations have varied needs.
Who do we donate to?
- Infant and Crib Quilts: Learn Your Options in Southbridge, Bethlehem House in East Hampton, and Clearway Pregnancy in Worcester, and the Charlton Fire Department.
- Adult Lap & Oncology Quilts: Tri-Community YMCA in Southbridge, the Charlton Fire Department, and Worcester Interfaith Hospitality Network.
- Larger Quilts: Worcester Interfaith Hospitality Network.
- Oncology-size Quilts: UMASS Memorial Oncology and the Cancer Center at Harrington Hospital.
- Lap Chair & Wheelchair Quilts: Quaboag Rehab Skilled Care Center in West Brookfield, Southbridge Rehab and Skilled Care Center in Southbridge, Tri-Valley in Dudley, and The Lutheran Rehab and Skilled Care Center in Worcester.
- We donate a large quilt annually to the Relay for Life.
- We have added the Victims of Domestic Violence Safe House in Southbridge to our list of recipients.
If you are unable to join us on Fridays, kits are available at the guild meetings. Pick one up, take it home to piece, and bring the top back to us the following month. The patterns are all easy and go together quickly. Every quilt we hand out makes a difference in someone’s life. We cover the span from babies to seniors.
Your donated tops and finished quilts are greatly appreciated. There is an immediate need for children’s quilts. Children’s prints and bright colors are appropriate for these tops (or finished quilts!), which in general should measure 36″ x 40″ up to 40″ x 50.”
Volunteer long-armers are also needed to quilt the larger quilts. Please let Terri know if you are able to help out.
Thanks for all you do!
For more information, contact Terri Donnelly at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Outreach accepts all sizes of quilts but finds the following sizes most helpful:
Infant 36 x 36 Oncology 45 x 60
Crib 36 x 46 Wheelchair 38 x 47
Lap / Kid 40 x 54 Large / Twin 56 x 71
For stress free volunteering, the Outreach kits are already sized – stop by the Outreach Table and pick up a kit.